Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Friday, February 7, 2020

Winter birding

Hello everyone.  Hope your having a good Friday! It's snowing here today, feels like -12 with the wind chill, brrrrrr, just cold!

I have a few cards but haven't taken pictures yet, so thought this was a good time to share some of my bird photography.

Last Saturday, Bill and I were up and on the road at 3:30 am to drive 5 hrs to see a certain bird.  This bird normally lives in British Columbia, so he is way off track.  He has been up in Haliburton since mid Dec and is still surviving our winters, eating lots so that's good.

As we were within 1/2 hour of our destination, we are driving along, I noticed lots of marshy areas, and then I noticed something on a dead tree trunk.  Bill had already driven past by the time I said 'stop'.  He started to back up, but there were a couple of cars coming behind us, so we drove up to turn around.  Came back and noticed it was a GGO (Great Gray Owl)! Wow, so excited!!!!!

Here is my picture: (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them)
Isn't he beautiful??



After spending about 15 minutes with him, he flew into the open marsh area further in, too far for pictures. 

Which leads us to our destination.  When we first got there, there was one gentleman waiting for this bird to show himself, we just chatted a bit and about 5 min later in flew lots of Blue Jays and then the Varied Thrush.
He seemed a bit timid, but eventually he came down far enough into the center of the pine tree, in an open area for us to take some pictures.  This is a lifer for me.  Another one crossed off my list! Gorgeous colours!



That's it for today.  I do have some more pictures of back yard birds over the last month, I will share these with you at a later time.
Enjoy your weekend.  I appreciate your visit.

Pauline

4 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, wow! We get the Varied Thrush here in the winter, but I mostly only see them when I scatter seed on the ground. I was so surprised the first time I saw them. So colorful! They really are beautiful, aren't they? Pretty far afield over there! But, wow, the Great Gray is a sight to see! I can't imagine just driving along the road and seeing it, and it still being there by the time you turned around. Breathtaking photos, Pauline!

Maria said...

Wonderful photos of the owl and bird! Such amazing colors on the gorgeous owl and bird! How awesome to see such beauty! I saw one cardinal and three blue jays at my bird feeder this morning. I love seeing the beautiful birds. We are blessed to see an eagle around our area at times, too,

Ros Crawford said...

No snow here but the storm has hit and it's so wet and windy... Many roads closed and yeah, it's cold! Beautiful bird photos... we hear the owls but never get to see them. Definitely no birds out this morning... I even braved the storm to put their food out! Stay safe my friend

I Card Everyone said...

I am blown away - it's YOU who is the photographer!! What a fabulous find - both so worth that 5 hour drive!
=]