Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Birding #3, 2020

I have a couple of cards completed, but I have not gotten around to take pictures of them yet, so decided to share some more of my birding photography with you.

These are all taken in the month of May during spring migration.

The first 5,  were taken in my backyard.

 The Cape May hung around in the yard for about 15 minutes, I just happened to look out the window and saw something fluttering, grabbed my camera and out I went.  I've never seen one in our backyard before, then again unusual times and working from home.
 The Carolina Wren pops in every now and again, hear him calling early in the morning.
The Brown Thrasher - every year we see one in our yard  in the tree tops, calling, but then takes off and never see him again. This year he was in our yard for just over 2 weeks, along with another one.  I'm pretty sure it was another male as this guy did not like the other being around in his territory! Have you ever heard one call before? If not you should go to All About Birds website and have a listen.

Another unusual sighting in our yard this year was a Veery.  These guys are very skittish, and likes to hide underneath the cedars, but would pop out with ease to check things out.  I saw him from my craft window just after dinner one evening and then he ran underneath the trees.  So out I went sat on the deck and waited for him to show himself and he did! Cute little guy!

And then we have the Baltimore Oriole.  Last week of April we get the sugar water made and out in the feeder waiting for them to come.  This spring we had 3 pairs, but they are now nesting, so will probably see them again towards the end of July. Such a beautiful bird the male is.


Out and about birding up north near Tobermory, ON - 4 hr drive each way, a long day but worth what we saw.  I have many more pictures to share from up there, just haven't had time to work on them.  Here are a few of what we saw.

I hope you enjoyed these as much as I love taking the.  I have a few thousand pictures to go through, just haven't had much time with working, house and yard duties and trying to fit in a card now and then. 

I appreciate your stopping by.  Keep well my friends!

Pauline




5 comments:

Maria said...

Gorgeous photos of the pretty birds!!

Sandy said...

Your pictures are amazing -- I love to watch the birds in our back yard. We do not have the variety that you have.
Sandy xx

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, how wonderful! The Cape May is the cutest thing! I regularly visit All About Birds so I went right over there and listened to the Brown Thrasher. You just never know which bird will have the prettiest or most entertaining song. I'm listening every day to the Swainson's Thrush -- probably my favorite birdsong in the early morning when things are most quiet. It echoes through the trees. I always love it when you post your bird photos and I wait for a chance to get on the big desktop so I can click for the spectacular close up. Thank you so much, Pauline. Things like this are good for the soul.

Ros Crawford said...

You have some amazing birds over there... Lovely colours! Have a super weekend!

Stacy Morgan said...

Oh those are great pictures. That little fat yellowish ones had to of just eaten or been eating. haha I love the color on the last one with those deep blue color. Awesome!