Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Monday, September 3, 2018

Birds #3

Hello all, and happy Labour Day! It's nice to have an extra long weekend isn't it?  And back to school starts tomorrow as well.  I know in the US a lot of schools have already started their school year in August.

Well it's been quite a day so far.  I was doing a load of laundry and my drier died! :(.  So good thing I have clothes lines. It's over 100 again today, so with that heat it dried them pretty quickly along with the bit of breeze.  Then about 5 min ago winds picked up and the sky darkened, thunder and lightening,  and then the heavens opened up - torrential downpour and strong winds.  When the weather gets this hot it's always a trigger for Tornadoes! (I did manage to grab the clothes before all this started.) The heavy winds also tore off our Gazebo top ( canvas), ripped the 2 corners and away it went!

Well lets get back to why you are really here - too see some more of our photographs.  These were taken around our area over the last couple of weekends. Enjoy the show.  (for larger image please click the picture).



 I was at the kitchen sink and just happened to look out the back kitchen window and saw this guy sitting looking for his dinner! Bill was able to capture some pictures of him.  He wasn't successful in his catch so off he flew after about 10 min.  We get these guys a lot especially fall and winter. 
I hope you enjoyed the pictures.  I'm sure I'll have more to come soon.
Have a great day!

Pauline

2 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

You get tornadoes in your area? Quite the dramatic weather happening there. Here it's sunny, but low 60's and 30 mph wind. Not the best for outdoor living. I detest the wind! It's toasty warm and windless on our south deck, though, so I can soak up some rays there. Well, anyway, on to your amazing photographs! You have all these beautiful birds right close to home, and the hawk in your back yard? Fantastic! Of course, I always click for a close up. So gorgeous! My favorite kind of photographs and I need to do more like these. Mine would be of the dogs and flowers, but how I would love some of the birds. I just sink right into your photos. Thank you so much for taking the time to share them!

Tracy said...

I love that first photo with his little head cocked sideways. It's always so cute when you see one do that. The plumage on the hawk is incredible. I'm always awed by the detail you two capture. We're about to get Tropical Storm or Hurricane Jordan so we might be seeing some of those high winds and tornadoes too. I'm sure we'll all be wishing things were as calm as they are in your lovely photos.