Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Ist Christmas card for 2018

What can I say? Over half the year gone and I'm just starting to work on my Christmas cards for this year.  My thoughts were to make a couple each month so I wouldn't have so much to do in the end, but you can see how that thought went!

Nevertheless, I have started.  When I received my package in the mail a couple of weeks ago from Whimsy Stamps, and pulled out this cutie, I knew I had to colour him up right away. This image is called Jingle Bells 2 - Elephant.



I used prisma colour pencils to colour. After I was done, I sponged some blue and green around the edges to fill in the white space.  I originally thought of making it a square card so that's why I went with the square stitched frame, but I was hard to do some embossing on a 5.5 card, when trying to maneuver the embossing folder and to have it fit in the machine - sometimes it just doesn't work. So I opt for the 6.25 x 4.5.

I used a Darice snowflake embossing folder for the background.  MFT stitched square frame and flag stax for the sentiment.

To finish off I added some glossy accents to the jingle bells, white flock to the hat trim, stamped some little snowflakes around the edges of the image topped with some glitter, then  added a couple of small snowflakes on the side of the frame- I covered them with glue using my quickie glue pen then dunked them in my jar of TH distress glitter.
I used one of the sentiments from MFT BB Santa's Elves set and stamped it in black on a flag stax. I then layered some red c/s underneath just to give it a bit of colour, and then added some dimensionals behind it.

So there you have it, my first 2018 Christmas card in the books! Now just to get working on the rest.
I haven't had much time lately for stamping.  I've been working a lot of o/t through the week (12 hr days)  and on Saturdays, which will continue for another couple of weeks. So when I'm up to it a night (which doesn't seem to be to often) I try to squeeze a bit of stamping in.

I appreciate you stopping by. Have a great day!

Pauline

6 comments:

Pam Sparks said...

super cute and fab coloring Pauline!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, my! Pauline I love Crissy Armstrong's artwork, and this sweet elephant is darling! I love your coloring, and what a sweet layout with the wonderful background and framing atop of the embossed layer! Sweetness! Congratulations on your first Christmas card this year! I've been working on my throughout the year for the first time for the SCS Fan Club/Dirty Dozen Christmas Challenge each month. It's really helped me a lot, but I still need a lot more. Some of the ones I've made I'll make duplicates, but you surely wouldn't make duplicates of this one. Far too much work! Thanks for sharing your beautiful artwork! Hugs!

Leslie Miller said...

Ack, so absolutely darling! Beautiful Prismacoloring of this adorable, plump ellie. What a happy, fun card! I know what you mean about maneuvering the embossing folder on certain sizes or orientations, but it worked out great with this size and design. Love the square frame, the embossing, and the texture on his hat. Whimsy stamps are just way too cute. I also like the soft sponging in the background. I have to remember to do that more often. What a treat to see this today, Pauline! I'll look forward to your Christmas card progress. It's hard, I know. We returned yesterday from another trip, which means catch up time, but I hope it won't be too long before I visit my happy place again.

Ros Crawford said...

I am blown away by this beauty... Your colouring is stunning!! The recipient is one lucky person!

Stacy Morgan said...

Hey you have started right, that is the important part. And what a start. This is ADORABLE!!! Oh my word that elephant is a cutie pie, fabulous coloring to boot. Adorable!!!

Tracy said...

LOL I love the jingle bell tied on his tail. Super cute image. 0 in the Christmas card pile for me. :-(