Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Monday, October 19, 2020

Slimline Christmas cards

 I sat down today to tackle making a slimline Christmas card, as this seems to be the rage now.  I ended up making 2.

I'm using Simon Says Stamps Slimline Scene Builder - Christmas set along with Pinkfresh Studio slimline stitched rectangles die set (there are 4 dies in this set - 2 are stitched and 2 plain).

Using my Misti, I applied distress inks onto the background stamp.  I threw the first couple in the garbage as I did not like how they were turning out.  I found the background looked too streaky and blotching.  So.... added the ink directly from the ink pad to the stamp, then used a dauber to tap it out and blend it and this seemed to work.

Inks I used were distress tumbled glass, broken china, stormy sky and chipped sapphire.  I used the same inks for both, but think on the second card I was a bit more lighter when applying the inks. Once the background was done, I stamped the small trees using stormy sky, then heat embossed the large tree in silver. I also embossed the sentiment in silver. I used Enchanted evening (PTI) and a scrap of lighter blue from my scrap bin for the layers on this one.



For my second card, the small trees were stamped in distress hickory smoke, then white embossed the large tree.  I also used the decoration stamp for the small trees and stamped them in stormy sky.



I cut out both backgrounds using the smallest die from the slimline set, then used the next size up for the next layer. Before adhering to the stitched layer, I sprayed both backgrounds using Imagine sheer shimmer craft spray in Sparkle. I tried to take a picture of all the shimmer but just couldn't capture it, but trust me, these are very sparkly.  I used SU Soft sky and Not Quite Navy for my layers on the 2nd card.

One everything was adhered I added some red jewels to the first tree, and kept the white tree plain.

I also embossed the sentiment onto some Almost Navy (SU) c/s using white embossing powder, trimmed to fit then added a small strip of  silver glitter paper along the bottom edge.

Which one is your favourite?  

I appreciate you stopping by today, enjoy the rest of your day!

Pauline

3 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

You ask a difficult question, Pauline. I don't know how many times I've scrolled back and forth and clicked to enlarge, trying to decide which I like best. And then I had to go look up the stamp set, which is fabulous. I'd probably never get the background stamp properly inked up. It can be difficult with clear stamps and I only have a mini-MISTI. Well, never mind about all that... your cards are both serenely gorgeous! You did a beautiful job on the backgrounds and I love how you positioned the trees. The first one appears to be later into the nighttime hours. You've done such a beautiful job on both. I do have a fondness for white embossing, so maybe that one's my favorite? I sure don't know... I really LOVE them both!

DorothyA said...

They are both lovely! I would even add red gems to the white tree for a 3rd variation.

Ros Crawford said...

They are both gorgeous!! If I had to pick it would be the first one simply because I love the colours in the sky and I can totally imagine the reality of the snow falling... Yes that's how good you are at these scenes! Funny isn't it how there are trends... We always called these cards DL size and now it's slimline... Ah well...
Have a beautiful day my friend