Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Thursday, May 14, 2020

Birding #1, 2020

Hello everyone.  I hope you are all doing well.  Sorry I haven't posted in a while once again, I'm just having a hard time creating cards.  I started one yesterday, but just haven't finished it yet. 

I thought I would share some of my photos that I have taken so far this year.  Mind you I take tons, lots don't turn out and only some I complete.

So lets get started shall we, the first one is from March, and the rest are from April.

First up is a Ring-necked Pheasant.  As we were driving down a country road one early Saturday morning back in early March something caught my eye along the road edge of a corn field.  We turned the car around and sure enough there was this beautify guy posing for us.  We had him for about 10 min, as he would scurry around, stop, pose and continue.

Next we have an Eastern Meadowlark, again out in the county early April.  On weekends during this self isolation time, we take a drive on the weekends, to see what we can see and always take photos from our car window.

Eastern Peewee- ended up finding 2 of these guys fluttering along the dirt road along a forest edge. Beautiful!


One advantage of working from home, is my 'make-shift' office is in my craft room with a window view. I'm always on the look out as to what spring bird with stop in my yard before continuing on.  Well, this particular morning we had a Hermit Thrush,  he ended up staying for 4 days. Such a nice treat!


One of our frequent birding spots not far from home we found a Pine Warbler.  We have seen them there the last 2 years so far, so looks like they came back once again this year.  Such a pretty warbler. It amazes me  how they can stay warm, as this particular weekend, we had snow and it was below freezing.


Another backyard visitor is the White-Throated Sparrow.  Beautiful colour markings on this guy, and their song is music to my ears.  I woke up on this particular day to his song.  We ended up have between 10-12 at any given time in our backyard, and these guys stayed for just over 2 weeks! But a few have come back!


I hope you enjoyed what I shared today.  I have many more.  Birding season has been slow for the spring migration which I think is due to the winter like temperatures and strong north, northwest winds.  We need the south winds to help carry them up.  

I am on vacation this week, which is the same week Bill and I take every year for the spring migration, but things are very different this year.  No provincial parks or national parks are open, which means 2 of  the Parks we rely on for our spring birding are closed to the public. To see anything you have to rely on woodlots or any hot spots that you may know of. Good news is the provincial government has allowed the Provincial parks to be open as of tomorrow - May 15th, so rain or shine we will be heading to Rondeau Provincial Park, which is on Lake Erie, so hopefully we will see plenty of Warblers.

As always, have a wonderful day and take care,

Pauline












5 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Pauline, I cannot wait for our border to open again! We'd love to join you in a birding adventure! Right now, we've been having a few Warblers visit our yard, and three Orioles on the hummingbird feeder - yes, they like it just as much!
Thanks for sharing your lovely birds!
=]

Maria said...

Oh, such lovely bird photos! How fun it would be to capture those lovelies with a camera! We enjoy seeing cardinals, blue jays, red headed woodpecker, and robins around here. I spotted a robin nest a few weeks ago. The beauty of nature soothes our soul in these trying times! Thanks so much for sharing the beautiful bird photos! Take care!!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh my, oh my! You live in a birder's paradise. I've always been enthralled with your photos, as you know. The birds, the settings... so enchanting! I'm glad to hear you're on vacation. Please go forth and enjoy The Great Outdoors wherever and whenever you can. It's the safest place to be. Our area has not been hit hard, but Rich and I will continue to be cautious as best we can. I'm so glad you shared these beautiful photos, Pauline!

Ros Crawford said...

Wonderful photos! I'm so glad that you are off this week and will be able to go visit somewhere special... Have fun and stay welll

Stacy Morgan said...

Oh all these are such lovely birds. The yellow ones always make me smile. We saw a bunch of hawks over by my in laws the other day. which was very strange but they were beautiful looking. Enjoy your weekend and relax.