Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Birdie with a gift

Hello everyone. I was suppose to be teaching my first of two classes tonight but unfortunately it was cancelled due to a potential winter storm, it has been postponed to March 9.  So this gave me a 'free' night so I decided to post a card I made on Monday.

For my card, I'm using a digital image from Digistamps 4 you.  I just love these cute birds, there is just something about them that makes me smile.



After re-sizing I coloured the birdie using prismacolour pencils and blended with gamsol.  This was then cut out using an oval spellbinder die and layered onto some white cardstock cut using spellbinders timeless rectangle die.

For the background paper I did some water colouring.  I taped down my TH water colour paper, and completely wet it down with my paint brush.  I applied some distress ink to an acrylic block, then picked up the colours using a wet paint brush, then laid the colours onto the wet water colour paper.  With the paper being wet, the colours tend to move and bleed - love the effect this give.  I heat set it and then went back in and added some more ink to add some deeper shades.  This was then cut using a MFT  stitched rectangle die.  I then layered this onto my card base.

I added some fun foam to the back of the timeless rectangle die cut to give it some dimension. Some purple and blue sequins were added as well as some glitter to the hearts on the present to finish this off.

Supplies:
image -  digital image - birdie with a gift from Digistamps 4 you
ink - prismacolour pencils, distress ink seedless preserves, peacock feahters
die - spellbinders - oval, timeless rectangle, MFT - stitched rectangle
paper - Tim Holtz water colour, cougar 100 lb white
misc - sequins, glitter, fun foam

Thanks so much for stopping by - see you real soon.

Pauline

7 comments:

NancyT said...

Oh Pauline. This is absolutely gorgeous. Yes, these birdies make me smile too. As usual, your colouring is superb. Love how you always find embellishments to finish it off. Thanks for sharing your watercolour technique with us. Love the colour combinations. Stay safe and warm with the storm on its way.

Shirley T. said...

Hi Pauline,

What a stunning card, those colours are so gorgeous. Take it, from the look on his face, that he doesn't like me in my pyjamas. Must try digital stamping.

Much love,

Shirley T. xxx

Kerri said...

so cute love it!! to bad about the weather..

Leslie Miller said...

He looks surprised that he got a present! So cute! Dang, I love your pencil coloring. I always inspect it closely. Time for me to get those Prismas out again. Fabulous watercolor background, too. The colors are perfectly matched to the image. Now, of course, I have to go color. You always do that to me!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Pauline, what an adorable card and image! I just love these little birds, and I agree with Leslie - he sure does look like he is surprised he got a gift - ah! So precious! And your pencil coloring is stellar, my friend! I just love the watercolor background you've done and your die selection! Beautiful card! Warm hugs to you, and I'm so glad you had some extra time to play!

Tracy said...

Playing with watercolors right now myself. They really are fun and unique. Your little birdie has the funniest expression. Your touch of the fancy die cuts makes this card totally Pauline style. :-)

Leslie said...

Cute and funny at the same time!! Another gorgeous washed background in my favourite colors. That little bird has the funniest face 😀