Belted Kingfisher

Belted Kingfisher

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Crazy bird

Hi - hope your weekend is going well.  Remember that heat wave I complained about earlier in the week, well we got relief - like 60 degree weather, cool winds, it sure feels like fall as landed upon us, so I made a big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. Mmmmm good!

We were invited to our neighbors 75th birthday open house today.  When we got the invite last week, I thought what kind of card should I make.  He has a good sense of humor, both  dishing it out and taking it.  I don't have a wide variety of choices when it comes to masculine images, but then I remembered I have Tim Holtz's Crazy Bird set - perfect!

So off I went to create a card for my neighbor:

 
I just loves these birds!  I started out by stamping the bird onto some water colour paper- cold press 140 lb using black archival ink. Crazy bird was water coloured using distress inks- hickory smoke, twisted citron, peacock feathers, fossilized amber, spiced marmalade.  After that was coloured I wet the paper  around the bird with my paintbrush - make sure it is really wet, then picked up some of the fossilized amber (stamped off onto my Teflon mat) and dropped the paintbrush down onto the wet water colour paper.  If you have enough water on the paper the ink will spread. I continued to add a bit of twisted citron and a bit of peacock feathers.  

The corners were rounded, twine was added, then I added a piece of fun foam cut a bit smaller than my image layer and glued it to the back.  I find by using the fun foam, it gives you a much even and stable layer - sometimes using foam tape or dimensionals your  paper can droop/sage in spots.

This was then layered onto my card.  I added some MME enamel dots to finish this off.
Inside for my liner I stamped this:  "Happy birthday you old bird".  I know Gary will get a chuckle out of this!

Thanks for stopping by today, enjoy the rest of your day,

Pauline

5 comments:

Leslie Miller said...

This is fabulous and your watercoloring is awesome! Love the names of those distress inks. If I didn't have so many Stampin' Up! inks and reinkers I would stock up on distress inks just for the names of them. Your watercoloring is really beautiful. Look at those buggy eyes! Love these birds! Your watercolored background is really great and the paper is perfect. Bet your neighbor loved it!

Shirley T. said...

Hi Pauline,

Perfect card for a male card. Can I have some of whatever this bird is on!!!!

Much love,

Shirley T. xxx

Kerri said...

Great card I love those Crazy Birds..I also love your photo of the Hawks..Watercolouring AWESOME!!!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Pauline, this is fabulous...I so love these Crazy Birds...hehe! And you've really made him a cutie and watercolored to perfection. I know your neighbor loved it! Fabulous colors, and I love the bit of DP on the side with the twine and enamel dots! Pinned this one! Hugs!

Tracy said...

Love it! You've got some watercolors skills too my friend. Great color choices and that strip of DP on the side looks amazing. Hugs!